Monday, November 3, 2008

A curious last-minute election smear

By Rick Morris

Fellow FDH Lounge Dignitary Nate Noy made me aware of a very bizarre last-minute smear in the Ohio 2nd congressional district, which features the only legitimate three-way race for federal office in the country this year. Southwest Ohio political blogger Matt Hurley, after feebly attempting to tie independent candidate David Krikorian to somebody who he generously helped out after being arrested (for a charge that did not result in a conviction, which Hurley won't tell you), posted an email on his site from Krikorian in an attempt to embarrass him. It read:

"Nice try fat man.

Your girl is going down
"

Why would Hurley think that Krikorian would be the embarrassed one?

Who's the one being degraded here?

"He called me fat!!!"

Is that really something you really want to put out there? I'm asking the question honestly. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Hurley would compromise his dignity in such a way, and as somebody who once teetered around "two-fitty" (several years ago, I assure you!), I actually have empathy for him. At my peak weight, you couldn't have paid me enough caysh to call attention to my "spare tire." Why somebody else would willingly do that is beyond me.

No comments: