Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tea Parties & Right Wing Extremism

By Tony Mazur

April 15th is traditionally known as Tax Day here in the United States, but it will also be remembered for a tremendous showing of anger towards the increasing liberal movement.

The Tax Day Tea Parties were nationwide protests against higher taxes and bigger government brought on by President Obama and his administration. The Tea Parties were held in 773 cities across the U.S., and there was even a protest in front of the White House. I am proud to say that I was at the Cleveland, Ohio Tea Party held on Mall C, between City Hall and the courthouse.

I expected criticism from the liberal media, but I was appalled at what I have read and heard. We were called racists. We were called hate mongers. Every insult in the book was thrown at us. But I didn't see that down on Lakeside Avenue. I saw hard-working, tax-paying Americans. I saw Christians. I saw families. I saw people who are completely fed up with this administration, and it hasn't been three months. There were no acts of violence. There was no abusive language (unless you count the phrase "I'm mad as hell!"). Nothing of that sort.

When I think of the word "extremist", I think of someone who can put the lives of innocent citizens in danger. Well, the media has coined these Tea Party-goers "Right Wing Extremists". Remember, if liberals protest over inane issues such as global warming, gay marriage, and legalizing marijuana, they are considered "brave", and they are standing up for what they believe in. If a conservative protests against REAL issues such as high taxes, big government, and abortion, they are "fools", and need to go back to work.

I think the Tea Parties were an astounding success, and I look forward to attending the next one. And this isn't a partisan affair. Republicans have done their share of wasteful spending, especially during the Bush administration. No one is clean. The Tea Parties were set up to make more people aware of what is currently happening and what could happen if we don't act fast. And believe me, our voices were heard. Big time.

No comments: