Saturday, May 10, 2014

2014 NFL Draft Second Round liveblog



By Rick Morris

A number of FDH Lounge Dignitaries and other 21st Century Media Alliance talents participated in this liveblog, including myself, Jason Jones, Kyle Ross, Ken Detwiler, Don Peterson and Chris Galloway.

Kyle
By Gawd, Houston can’t take another Carr, can they?

Jason
Oh, yes they can. He's is the better Carr. I'm sure the fans will feel uneasy about it, but they should. He's the last guy that looks like a real and sooner rather than later impactful starter. Garopollo, McCaron, Savage maybe? But Carr should be the guy.

Chris
They won't. Image. Pure and simple.

Rick
Hey Jason, does Ryan Leaf have a younger brother that San Diego can draft? C'mon now!

Jason
I can't believe that you guys are getting sucked into the editorial approach to thinking about this. Sure they aren't going to do it, but for the wrong reasons. Derek Carr is the last QB on the top tier. And going Ryan Leaf's brother is going a tad far.

Kyle
I'm not saying I agree. I'm acknowledging reality. If Houston passes on Carr I think the last name played a role. Dumb thinking, yes.

Jason
Sure, that's what will probably happen. I'm just saying they shouldn't let a PR issue dictate personnel moves. It may be the reality if the situation, but it seems silly.

Kyle
J - how much do you actually like Carr? I think he's a lot closer to the "rest of the pack" than he was to the top three. Also, your opinion on Donte Moncrief to the Browns? Saw your rankings. Could they wait to round 3 to get him?

Jason
In whatever order in their respective tiers you want (I'd like to keep Rick's sanity at a safe level)...

Group 1

Bortles (not my top guy)
Manziel
Bridgewater

Group 1B--------------
Garoppolo
Carr

Group 2--------------
McCarron
Murray
Mettenburger
Etc.

And yes, the way things went in the first, and assuming we don't see a huge run with like ten WRs going in the second, it's very feasible to get Moncrief at least with the first of their two 3rd Rd picks.

Kyle
Sounds like Texans are going DLine - Tuitt or Nix.

Jason
Well, Nix is the only real NT in the first 50. Tuitt looks very promising as a 3-4 DE. Nix is more a premium. But if Clowney is really going to play OLB, Tuitt, NT TBD, Watt, Clowney, Cushing, etc. seems really nice. They might not be able to pass on Nix, though. Mayock seems to think if he can keep his weight at an ideal place, he could be a Vince Wilfork type. I think that's pretty rich for my taste.

Jason
I'm back looking at Marquise Lee again (for 35). He cradles too much. Way too often, he catches the ball with his arms and not his hands. He's not fast, runs clean routes, but catches with his arms. That scares me.

Jason
He would be a complimentary receiver to Gordon, but he scares me.

Chris
I like the kid from Vandy more.

Kyle
The fact Lee has "dropped" scares me. Let's go with Jason's Samoan!

Chris
And reports are now hitting the wire that Gordon will be suspended for the season for Mary-Jane.

Jason
I'm nauseous from that news. And I was putting this next bit together anyway but, even more important now if that news is true. I was re-evaluating my list of WRs. I don't want any part of Marquise Lee. Seriously, at a third look, the catching with his arms I can't handle. So, anyway, here's the new list from what's left.

Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
Davante Adams
Jordan Matthews
Cody Hoffman
Jared Abbrederis
Josh Huff
Brandon Coleman
Bruce Ellington
Martavis Bryant
Devin Street
Jeff Janis

Don
That story just made me sick to my stomach

Chris
I'm a big Matthews fan.

Chris
Better get one in Rd2 and one in Rd3.

Jason
If it's me, Matthews is a solid 2, but his speed is almost worrisome.

Kyle
Versatile lineman, can play guard.

Rick
ASJ, a tremendous weapon at TE for Tampa Bay, congratulations to Jeff Briscoe!

Jason
Hageman is one if those guys that looks the part but... A 'looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" candidate. I saw a lot of mocks that had him going to NE or other teams where he could get better before needing to contribute.

Jason
Man, Tampa Bay is not fooling around.

Jason
On Tampa Bay's draft so far...

"Like basketball on grass"
-Mike Mayock

Jason
Bills are having a great draft, too. If Koundjio gets through his previous knee injury, he is a top 20 pick. Eventually, it may be difficult to figure out who starts at LT, Koundjio or Cordy Glenn.

Jason
Seattle better not have started a run...Paul Richardson. Fast, very fast. But reminds me of DeSean Jackson. Skinny. Goes down easy.

Jason
Wow, this is weird. I haven't had any problems with any picks in awhile...

Rick
As a Browns fan, it infuriates me to say this, but Jernigan to the Ravens is fantastic for them. That's like getting an extra first-round pick.

Jason
Yeah, that sucks.

Jason
OK, that one hurts. Not that Attachaou would've been on CLE radar (maybe DEN). I just hate it when prospects I like go to teams I don't like.

Jason
Teams are going to get steals at the RB spot.

Jason
Davante Adams coming off worries me. There are only so many WRs left that can become #1s, he's one of them. Right now I'm holding out hope for Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry.

Jason
Sankey is nice but shouldn't have been the first back off the board.

Jason
PLEASE BE KONY EALY

Jason
And Denver keeps picking guys that look the part but don't always play like it

Jason
OK, San Fran, that one just hurts my feelings. Can we possibly trade for Marcus Lattimore?

Rick
Carlos Hyde to San Fran, wow. The RB game will not dip at all out there, regardless.

Jason
Seriously, I would almost consider a second rounder for Lattimore if he passes a physical.

Jason
Frank Gore, Carlos Hyde, Marcus Lattimore, Kendall Hunter, and LaMichael James. How many backs do they need? If this was fantasy football, I'd be cussing SF out.

Rick
They'd be the douche drafting backup QBs for all of the starters. LOLZ

Jason
If CAR is smart, they'll grab Jarvis Landry.

Jason  NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rick
Right with ya, Jason, wanted Allen Robinson for the Brownies, too.

Jason
Time for me to revise the WR list again.

1. Jarvis Landry
2. Martavis Bryant
3. Josh Huff
4. Jared Abbredaris
5. Bruce Ellington
6. Brandon Coleman

Jason
Garoppolo to New England is just wrong.

Jason
Why do I get the feeling, CLE is not going to draft a WR worth a damn?

Jason
You are killing me!!!!!!

Jason
Enjoy, Rick!

Jason
Martavis Bryant is the top WR left. And probably the only one that projects a even a potential #1 (and that may be a HUGE stretch).
Rick
I said that the Browns needed to trade back into the 2nd round to get Robinson with an OL. Although, the matter of passing on Watkins (yes, even with a #1 next year) if they knew Gordon was gone should itself be a fire-able offense.

Jason
Best Available according to Mike Mayock...

Louis Nix (Can't believe he's still there. If WR wasn't such a huge issue all of a sudden, I'd say grab him on value alone.)

Zach Mettenberger
Scott Crichton
Morgan Moses
Tre Mason
Bashaud Breeland
AJ McCarron
Pierre Desir

They NEED to go WR, I say Martavis Bryant. However, the only player I would be excited about right now that isn't a WR is Chris Borland. NO WAY he should still be there. He's a little Luke Keuchly.

In addition. I like Bitonio. But in total, it would have been so much better to get Allen Robinson, Paul Richardson, etc and grabbed Morgan Moses to play RT who is still on the board.

Jason
One HUGE oversight. Donte Moncrief is still on the board. There is still hope
Jason C. Jones I would LOVE Chris Borland. But Josh Gordon took that luxury away though. WE NEED DONTE MONCRIEF.

Jason
DONTE MONCRIEF DONTE MONCRIEF DONTE MONCRIEF

Jason
I swear you sons of _______ if you don't take a WR I like...

Kyle
I'm ignoring people talking to me at this party. Somebody tell me something interesting.

Rick
Jason, as a veteran watcher of Cleveland drafts, I'll simply say prepare to be disappointed. Most of the Western world, myself included, had Watkins going 4 to the Browns, while we all knew deep down it wouldn't happen because it's never that simple. Be prepared for a pick we don't like followed by, "What you ___ people don't understand about ___ is ___." #Truth

Jason
Kyle, Browns are up in a moment and Donte Moncrief is still on the board. That is really the only interesting thing I can think of. Or maybe just the only thing I can think of.

Rick
Well, Kyle, you didn't say it had to be about the draft. The last few days, I've had the Billy Joel song Modern Woman stuck in my head. #RockAndRollJustUsedToBeForKicksButNowadaysItsPoliticsAndAfter1986WhatElseCouldBeNew

Jason
Moncrief now. And then whatever picks this draft you have to surrender to get back into this round (soon) to grab Borland.

Jason
I don't even know what to say...

Rick
Cue Jason Jones meltdown!

Kyle
The Browwwwwns?

Jason
Kirksey is fun to watch (in college). My problem with him is that he plays at a weight that makes him look more like a heavy safety. 233? Ok. It helps address ILB, but are they expecting to win games 9-6?

Jason
Trade up you @$$e$!

Rick
Hate to say (well, that's a lie) I told you so ...

Rick
Boy, if only they already had an undersized runt of a linebacker on the team to perform that function. #JayYouMightSayTheyWereBARKingUpTheWrongTree

Ken
F .......Josh Gordon. Now what ? What an AHOLE

Jason
Ken, Welcome to our nightmare...

Jason
DAMN IT! I'm really getting tired of San Fran

Don
Day 2 isn't good at all.

Rick
Borland to the Niners should pretty much be illegal.
Ken Detwiler Jason, Thanks...it's been a real head-scratcher for sure.

Jason
Had they gone Bitonio, then Moncrief, I'd be remarkably more optimistic. If they think its going to work with just Hawkins, Burleson, and maybe Benjamin, they better shut teams out defensively

Jason
The first 3 picks are GREAT. Letting positions of need dwindle down is not.

Rick
What I said last night about acquiring the first-round pick for next year makes so much more sense right now. The Browns are punting this season. It is undeniable.

Ken
What once was a strength is now a crater to fill. All in a matter of minutes and the front office knew for 2 weeks WTF

Rick
Jason, Pete Prisco gives the Borland pick a B-. LOLOLOLZ

Jason
He must not be factoring in value. Yesterday out here, the local guys were saying, "what if Borland fell to Denver at the end of the second?"

Jason
This Louis Nix thing is unreal!

Jason
INSANE!

Jason
NFL Network is showing highlights that make Nix look terrible.

Rick
Paid for by the Kelcy Quarles Political Action Committee!

Jason
I don't know how I'm going to sleep through the night if the Browns haven't drafted a WR by the end of this round.

Rick
Better load up on melatonin, Jason!

Jason
Ironic, because I take it every night anyway. I may need to load up.

Jason
Nice pick KC. A little off the field stuff, but very nice.

Jason
Chris Watt OG from Notre Dame. Very nice. There have been at least two guards taken ahead of him that shouldn't have been.

Jason
@%# DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jason
My wife just asked, "Why do you get so mad about this?" I replied with, I could explain it, but I doubt you'll get it or care.

Jason
SOMETHING'S HAPPENING....

Jason
Martavis Bryant.

Jason
Described as "built like Josh Gordon."

Jason
OH $---. It's not a WR, but damn. Rick, I called this one back on Tuesday. Terrance West is a beast.

Don
Can someone explain the Terrance West pick please

Rick
Right, he's not a change-of-pace guy for Tate, is he, Jason?

Kyle
Pete Prisco is a piece of shiznit! Terrance West = good player. But geez, this team needs a receiver!

Kyle
Colts getting Moncrief is a steal.

Jason
Yes. Terrance West is the baddest RB in all of college football. Granted its at a small school. His highest competition game was UConn. But this dude in 2013 ONLY, totalled 2500 yds and 41 touchdowns. He is absolutely not a change of pace back. 5'9, 225, 4.54. He's another Ben Tate. He is a backup. Tate comes out for a breather and nothing changes. He's a one cut and downhill runner. He had games with 50+ carries. He scored 10 touchdowns in a single game twice. 6 or more like 7 times. His lowest yardage game was like 130. This was a best player available move. I just don't understand trading up for it.

Kyle
Can't believe Morgan Moses lasted to round 3.

Kyle
The party that I was at tonight was not totally unproductive. I learned that Russell Wilson's wife is a slut and why Golden Tate wasn't re-signed!

Jason
So for those of this group smarter than me, is there any possibility to the notion that maybe the Browns know Gordon is going to win an appeal? Is that even possible?

Kyle
Jason - My fiance and I just had that discussion. Is is the dreaded "diluted sample?" Maybe they are confident it gets reduced? Regardless though, this division is winnable this year.....should not "play for next year."

Jason
Rick, if you're right on the picking for 2015, I feel a little better (and not at the same time. I was hoping for at least a 6-7 win progress season).

Kyle
This morning.....I said Browns could be a 9-7 team and take the division. I'm telling you....Bengals will drop this year. Lost both coordinators. Dalton will implode. Ceiling on Ravens/Steelers not as high as people think. Both hamstrung by bad contracts.

Jason
Regardless of what's going on in their heads, if I were in that room, I would be imploring them to try and pull off a trade to get Da'Rick Rogers away from Indy. With Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, TY Hilton, LaVon Brazil and now Donte Moncrief they have no need for Rogers.

Kyle
Besides Broncos-Pats-Colts-Chargers, can someone name me a good team in the AFC?

Rick
There are no other good teams. Jason, I think that Brazil fella is a fine talent for some reason! #GreenNWhite

Jason
Of course you do. At this point, he still pistol-whips Greg Little.

Jason
They better know something we don't about this sample. The WRs are Andrew Hawkins (ideally a slot receiver), Greg Little (who should be cut before the preseason), Nate Burleson (fractured arm), Travis Benjamin, Josh Cooper and a few guys I could not care any less about.

Jason
If this Gordon thing sticks, Jordan Cameron is going to have like 1500 yds and 20 TDs based solely on the idea that there is no one else to throw to.

Rick MorrisLet's not even go down the path of the sample. Unless this story is a complete fraud, he's dead to rights, especially as a repeat junkie. If the Browns counted on him beating this on appeal, they're even stupider than I thought they were for passing on Watkins and taking Manziel over Bridgewater.

Kyle
Maybe the Browns will try and play "AFC North Football," huh Rick Morris?

Rick
Jason, what D coordinator is not going to have three bodies draped on Cameron from the time he gets off the bus???

Jason
True.

Rick
Is that anything like the "Big Ten Football" that my dad speaks of so reverently, Kyle? #HesNeverBeenHitLikeThatBefore

Jason I'm really pulling at straws here. I literally cannot wrap my head around this WR situation.

Kyle
I WAS WORKING TOWARDS THAT REFERENCE!

Kyle
This Browns crash and burn has to rival Howard Dean.

Rick
Ray Farmer: AND THEN WE'RE GOING ON TO TAKE THE LOMBARDI TROPHY! AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Kyle
At this point, even Rick would admit that Obamacare was more thought out than the Browns strategy at receiver.

Rick
True, Kyle. Something that started as a Heritage Foundation idea > "hey, let's just run the wishbone."

Kyle
Poor Jason. He just wanted to discuss the Browns ineptitude and we made it all political.

Rick
Noam Chomsky: The Browns' ineptitude at securing game-breakers on the outside mirrors American attempts to impose hegemony on puppet countries worldwide.

Kyle
Sean Hannity: "This Browns receiver situation reminds me of Benghazi..."

Rick
Chris Matthews: "Divisional rivals are saying that facing this crappy receiving corps twice a year sends a thrill up their legs."

Jason
I think I figured it out. Manziel, Tate, West. The Browns are going to be the first NFL team in the modern era to run the wishbone.

Jason
In all seriousness. In a vacuum, their picks thus far are excellent. But we don't operate in a vacuum. There were decisive needs. They filled all of them except the most glaring. Which was made more glaring about an hour before Round 2 started.

Jason
I'm listening to Bradley Roby's introductory press conference. Does Ohio St even require their players to attend class? This dude is incorporating the question in his answer like a third grader. It is remarkable how bad he sounds.

Jason
For the record. I have been complaining a lot today. I do want to reiterate, that if we didn't start Day 2 with the worst news possible for the Browns -- if we didn't have a glaring need so massive that it dwarfs any quality of picks at other spots -- and if it weren't for the idea that it seems like this organization is treating said glaring need as if it was no big deal -- if those things were not true, then I'd say I'm in love with this draft. Consider (all ranks are consensus and up for interpretation):

Pick 8: Justin Gilbert (#1 CB-shutdown)
Pick 22: Johnny Manziel (#1 QB-#2 at worst)
Pick 35: Joel Bitonio (#5 OT to play RT)
Pick 71: Christian Kirksey (#6 ILB)
Pick 94: Terrance West (#5 RB)

On its own merits, that is damn good. Best in a long while. But the lack of a top 10 WR is inexcusable. And that's before the Josh Gordon bit.

Jason
The last question in tonight’s Farmer/Pettine press conference was telling. "Do you feel that right now you have a #2 WR on this roster?" To paraphrase, "Yes. I believe we have a #2 WR on this roster". Read between the lines, "we don't need to draft a WR.”

Awesome. I can't begin to articulate how upsetting that is.

Josh Gordon-Probably out
Andrew Hawkins-#2 at best, better fit at slot
Nate Burleson-he's better than Little but not by much
Greg Little-should be bagging groceries somehwere
Travis Benjamin-a nice piece but by no means a starter
Josh Cooper-ugh
Tory Gurley-ugh
Charles Johnson-ugh
Conner Vernon-ugh

So, let me get this straight. Take Josh Gordon off the list. That moves Andrew Hawkins to #1. Nate Burleson to #2. And I'd put Travis Benjamin at #3/slot. So how is it again, you think you don't need at least one more WR? I'm confused.

Jason
Just checking other outlets to find WRs, since the draft doesn't seem to be an option.

Available free agents:

Miles Austin
Santonio Holmes
Michael Jenkins
Earl Bennett

Jason
My updated 'small' board for Day 3:

Craig Lotson-S*
Martvis Bryant-WR*
Jared Abbrederis-WR*
David Yankey-OG
Aaron Colvin-CB/S
Christian Jones-ILB
Bruce Ellington-WR
Dion Bailey-S
Cody Hoffman-WR
Cyril Richardson-OG
Devin Street-WR
De'Anthony Thomas-RB
Vinnie Sunseri-S

Chris
Martavis Bryant, for sure. They have to. I wonder if they watched a lot I Watkins film and came away liking him more. Greg Cosell has seemed intrigued by him as well.

No comments: