Monday, May 3, 2010

Gulf of Mexico oil spill -- benefiting whose agenda?

By Rick Morris

OK, this is admittedly tinfoil hat territory. That's never stopped me before, however.
Let's just take a look at this Gulf oil spill through my favorite prism for guessing a REAL culprit: who benefits?
As far as I am concerned, this is the only method that makes sense for ascertaining how events came to unfold. Since I am not some little agnostic guy running around believing that circumstances come to pass randomly, I choose to believe that nothing happens that is truly random.
The closest parallel in my mind is the Oklahoma City bombing. Now, we all know Tim McVeigh's alleged motives. We know them inside and out. But I keep coming back to this point: did the militias and the people he claimed to identify with benefit at all? Certainly not. The excesses of the ATF, Ruby Ridge, Janet Reno's shameful conduct at Waco -- none of these could be spoken of without media poobahs looking to make a citizen's arrest and exile you to Alcatraz.
I have always believed that McVeigh was consciously working against the belief system he claimed to represent. Were any other lefties in league with him, one way or another? I honestly don't know. But I do know who benefited. And it wasn't people like myself, who asked pointed but nonviolent questions of the federal government's role in controlling its citizens.
Fast-forward 15 years ... the president has just made the most reluctant promise of his life to open up small areas of the sea for offshore drilling. In the one instance where I give him the most credit for honesty on the campaign trail, he bucked public opinion to stand with his tree-hugging pals and stood against the "Drill, Baby, Drill!" mantra. I believe firmly that in his pinkish-green heart of hearts, he believed that the future of the Earth was at stake. So clearly, he was going to abandon his cave-in on drilling at the first opportunity, no matter how small.
Now, we know that the Weathermen, the 1960s radical terrorist group helmed at one time by Obama's Chicago homeboy Bill Ayers, believed in the saying that "you can't make an omelette without breaking any eggs." They, and many others on the wacko left, believed in the precept of making matters worse to change the dynamic and allow for their otherwise-improbable measures to be implemented.
So I'm not saying that the Sierra Club blew up this oil platform. Well, I'm not saying it directly! Seriously, though, when you consider that these oil rigs withstood Katrina only to erupt in far worse fashion out of the blue ... c'mon, it would be irresponsible NOT to take the present political climate into consideration. And if the cap-and-trade legislation, which was previously dead-on-arrival in the Senate, miraculously rises up on a bed of polluted water, we'll know that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE on the left successfully created their Reichstag Fire 2K10.

No comments: