Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The greatest baseball game I've ever seen

By Rick Morris

Previously, I had regarded Game Seven of the 1991 World Series as the most exciting baseball game I had ever witnessed. But the twists and turns in tonight's National League wild card play-in game surpassed even the drama in the Metrodome on that wild October evening.

And no, San Diego, Matt Holliday did not touch home plate. I'd be lying if I said I was that worked up about it, though, since he's a truly great player and didn't deserve to be remembered as a goat for his miscue in the outfield and since the Rockies would surely have advanced in the winning run anyway that inning.

The luckiest guys in baseball tonight? Clint Hurdle, whose overmanaging with the asinine premature defensive substitutions could have cost his team dearly -- and Charlie Manuel, whose Phillies get to face a thrilled but drained Rockies team Wednesday afternoon.

No comments: