Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Pro Bowl: Official Cure for Insomnia

By Tony Mazur

The Pro Bowl is the NFL's All-Star Game, traditionally held one week after the Super Bowl at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii. This game features the best players in the American Football Conference and the National Football Conference, and has been that way since 1970. Many fans tune into this contest, either held on a Saturday or Sunday, depending on the television network, to watch their favorite players against the best of the best.

I did, and now I'm bored.

I consider myself part of the "Madden Generation". What that means is, I want to see high-scoring ballgames. I want to see defense, but a lot of offense is a must. Otherwise, we're bored. But when it comes to the Pro Bowl, we're bored as soon as the kick is off.

I just don't understand the Pro Bowl. I usually tune in to view the sights of Hawaii, the first quarter, and, depending on the score, the final minutes of the game. For me, the Pro Bowl is naptime. 5-degree weather doesn't help, either.

There's no incentive for the players to perform well. It's just a vacation for them. They stand around during extra points. The secondary blows coverage on every pass play. Why should I waste my time?

I'm a big football fan, but unless the NFL can find other ways to keep this game entertaining, I'll take a refreshing three-hour nap.

No comments: