Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pa. Prez Debate – moderated by Michael Scott?

By Rick Morris

The following is a transcript of the Democratic presidential debate from the state of Pennsylvania, dated Thursday, April 17, 2008.

CHRIS MATTHEWS: Good evening and welcome to this special edition of HARDBALL. We are taping a presidential debate here this afternoon from the University of Scranton in Scranton, Pennsylvania with the two remaining Democratic contenders, Senator Hillary Clinton of New York and Senator Barack Obama of Illinois. The man chosen by the Pennsylvania Democratic Party to host this afternoon’s debate is, along with his employees, the subject of a forthcoming documentary about office life in America. His name is Michael Scott and he is the regional manager of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. He will be putting the questions to the candidates along with two of his employees. Mr. Scott, you have the floor.

MICHAEL SCOTT: Thank you, Chris. Somehow, you seemed funnier and more entertaining on TV. I am honored to be here this afternoon so that my wonderful ability to MC can help illuminate the choice in this election for my fellow citizens. I regret that my two most trusted assistants in the office, Jim and Pam, could not join me today. They insisted about the supply closet being long overdue for reorganization. I’m not quite sure why Jim was making air quotes when he said that or why Pam smirked a little bit as he did or why Kevin ended up outside the door giggling after they went in. I guess we’ll never know the answer to those questions. But I will get the candidates to answer my questions here today, along with the two people I have here with me instead of Jim and Pam, the ones I really wanted. Dwight Schrute is the top salesman at our branch and Toby Flenderson is a brainless jerk in our HR department who is only here because the stupid people in our country apparently deserve a voice also.

TOBY FLENDERSON: Please, Michael …

MICHAEL: Shut it, Toby, nobody cares about you. OK, my first question is for Senator Osama. Now, Senator …

SENATOR OBAMA: Uh, that’s Obama, not Osama …

MICHAEL: Uh, excuse me, I’m speaking here.

OBAMA: But you got my name wrong!

MICHAEL: Details, details. Save it for your answer. Now, Senator, you have really turned your image around. I see all these young people clamoring for a chance to support you and you’re the hottest thing since my routine last time on open mic night. But really, Senator Osama, do you really think people’s memories are that short? I mean, it was a good move to lose the beard and the turban and the “America must die” stuff, but can you really get elected president after being responsible for 9/11?

OBAMA: I am not Osama bin Laden! My name is Barack Obama. I had NOTHING! TO! DO! with 9/11!

MICHAEL: Uh huh, likely story. Just another politician dodging accountability. Senator Clinton, your response?

HILLARY CLINTON: Well, Michael, I can tell you that my campaign is not responsible for any implication that Senator Obama masterminded 9/11, those flyers in Ohio notwithstanding. But I want to pose the question: can we take the risk that he was responsible for 9/11?

OBAMA: That’s outrageous! Senator Clinton, I demand an immediate apology and a …

CLINTON: Ah, cram it, Hussein.

MICHAEL: Candidates, please! You’re not doing anything to elevate the level of discourse here! Let’s move along, I’ll take the next question. Now, Senator Hillary Rodman Clinton

CLINTON: That’s Hillary Rodham Clinton.

MICHAEL: Exactly. Now, I look at you, the cool, collected professional woman in your tailored corporate pantsuits and I’ve gotta tell you, it’s very reminiscent of my girlfriend – eh, let’s call it like it is, my live-in lover Jan Levinson. Now, she rocks the whole powerful businesswoman look, but she is a tomcat in the bedroom. I mean, insatiable. Now Senator …

CLINTON: This is inappropriate!

MICHAEL: You haven’t heard the question yet! Talk about prejudging! So much for open-mindedness. Senator, is the same true of you? Are you a hellion underneath your polished professional look, and if so, why’s Bill constantly roaming the country looking for some strange?

CLINTON: This is sexist and insulting and …

MICHAEL: Blah, blah, blah. I gotta tell ya, you’re not helping your ice queen image much with your uptight response. Here I lob you a softball, give you a chance to talk about using cherry-flavored massage oil or whatever you like to use to get freaky and you get all weird on me!

CLINTON: and degrading to women and …

MICHAEL: OK, we see where you’re going with that. Osama, you got any response?

OBAMA: That’s Obama. I agree very much with Senator Clinton that any discussion of her frigid tendencies is completely inappropriate in this campaign …

CLINTON: You’ll pay for that, you filthy crackhead!

MICHAEL: Please! Candidates, can we keep in on the issues here? OK, I’m going to reluctantly turn over the floor to Toby here and I hope that he won’t stink up the place too badly.

TOBY: Thank you, Michael. Senator Obama, can you discuss your approach to withdrawing our troops from Iraq when you take office?

OBAMA: Thank you for that intelligent question, Toby. I believe that an expeditious and orderly withdrawal of our armed forces from the situation in Iraq will be imperative when I take office. I’d like to redeploy some forces to Afghanistan so that our response to Taliban attacks can be in the necessary manner, swift and sharp …

MICHAEL: That’s what she said!

OBAMA: Excuse me, what did Hillary say?

CLINTON: I didn’t say anything there Osama! Are you having a delayed reaction to all the drugs you used to take?

MICHAEL: Wait, no, Hillary didn’t …never mind, just please keep answering Toby’s stupid question.

OBAMA: All right. As I say, I want to increase our troop footprint in Afghanistan, creating a buffer …

MICHAEL: Buffer? I hardly know her!

TOBY: Michael …

MICHAEL: Shut it, Toby, you’re ruining the whole debate! OK, let’s move on from the way Toby just brought the debate down …

CLINTON: But I didn’t get a chance to respond!

MICHAEL: Hold on, there, Hitlery …

CLINTON: How dare you call me that!

OBAMA: She’s right, Michael, there’s really no comparison between her and the madman behind the Third Reich. Why, her and Bill offed a lot more folks than that back in Arkansas. I saw THE CLINTON CHRONICLES, you know!

CLINTON: You piece of sh …

MICHAEL: C’mon, people! Don’t let this thing degenerate. The people deserve better than this. OK, next question comes from Dwight Schrute.

DWIGHT SCHRUTE: Senator Clinton. As the top salesman for Dunder-Mifflin Scranton, I know quite a bit about dominance. I live it every day. As you probably know, males in any species of mammal can mark their territory and establish dominance by peeing on the floor. You are in no position to be able to position yourself in such a way. I would like to ask if you have plans to modify your pantsuits in a manner to allow you to squat and …

CLINTON: This is the most reprehensible, sexist …

OBAMA: Lemme jump in and answer that. I don’t think any man out there wants to see that. Can I get a “Hell Yeah?”

MATTHEWS: OK, we’ve heard enough. Good night from Scranton.

MICHAEL: Hang on, I’m going to do an impression as we go off the air. Lemme just get my Oriental props together …

No comments: